ABOUT THE EXCHANGE
GREAT BASIN FIRE SCIENCE EXCHANGE
SECRETARIAL ORDER SCIENCE SUPPPORT CENTER
MEMBER JFSP FIRE SCIENCE EXCHANGE NETWORK
The Great Basin Fire Science Exchange is home to ........
We are also one of 15 regional Fire Science Knowledge Exchanges funded by the Joint Fire Science Program. The purpose of each regional exchange is to: 1) identify and make available the science-based fire and fuels management information needed to facilitate better land management decisions, and 2) improve communication and collaboration among the government and non-government practitioners who use fire science information, and the research community who develops new fire science knowledge.
The Great Basin Fire Science Exchange implementation proposal (PDF) was funded by the Joint Fire Science Program in September of 2010 and comes up for renewal every two years. Currently, this project is funded through June of 2016. The goals of this project are to:
- Provide a forum where Great Basin land managers can identify technical needs with respect to fire, fuels, and post-fire vegetation management
- Develop/synthesize the necessary information and technical tools to meet these needs
- Provide the necessary information and tools through venues most preferred by field staff, field office managers, and higher administrative levels
- Develop direct lines of communication between managers and scientists.
The Exchange proposes to meet these goals through:
- Ongoing needs assessments
- Information syntheses
- Webinars and online training
- Web-based clearinghouse of information
- Network of experts from management agencies and research agencies
- Field workshops