The workshop will bring together up to 25 Tribal leaders, community members, environmental professionals, knowledge holders, academic partners, federal and state agency representatives, non-governmental organizations, and others.
This course will provide an overview to planning for climate change impacts, with an emphasis on fire, highlighting the work of Tribes that have completed an adaptation plan or vulnerability assessment. Since the course will focus on climate change impacts in California, we especially encourage Tribal environmental staff and community members from this region to apply to attend.
- Overview of climate change and impacts in the west with an emphasis on fire and cultural burning
- Process of developing climate change adaptation plans, from getting started, to impact and vulnerability assessments, to developing adaptation strategies
- Tools, resources, and partnerships for adaptation planning
A workshop for all wildland fire management partners across the 20 state NE-MW region to share region-wide, science-based, fire ecology information oriented toward expanding and maintaining the use of prescribed fire across all landscapes, jurisdictions, and fire-dependent ecosystems.
This regional workshop will:
- Provide a forum for all wildland fire management partners to share region-wide, science-based, fire ecology information oriented toward expanding and maintaining the use of prescribed fire across all landscapes, jurisdictions, and fire-dependent ecosystems.
- Provide an opportunity for scientists, managers, and practitioners across the 20-state region to share prescribed fire related experiences, successes, and potential solutions to implementation challenges.
- Provide an opportunity for agency leaders and managers to interact with state prescribed fire councils and other key partners.
Serve as a model for future annual or biennial workshops.
This Workshop is considered “mission critical” for anyone working on these issues in local, state, Tribal and federal agencies, and organizations as well as non-governmental organizations and private companies. There is no other forum in the nation that provides these opportunities.